When Elwood and Lackey discovered that their next assignment would be to team up with Jay Cluitt of the LAMB and Life vs. Film and review episodes of Sapphire and Steel and Dark Season, their reactions were something like this:
In this episode, we discuss:
Sapphire and Steel 2.07-2.10, “Assignment IV” aka “The Man Without a Face” (1981): Joanna Lumley and David McCallum are troubleshooters from beyond time who find themselves pulled into strange occurrences at an abandoned junk shop, including a mysterious man with no face, the sudden appearance of Victorian-era children, and a young woman who spends three straight episodes “getting ready for work.”
Dark Season (1991): A trio of precocious students face off against the villainous Mr. Eldritch, a man with a number of sinister technological toys and a deep, abiding loathing of human life. Best known for launching the careers of Russell T. Davies (creator of Queer as Folk and inaugural showrunner of the Doctor Who revival) and Kate Winslet (expect you’ve heard of her).
Next month: Jess Archer Vs. and Speed Racer (’68).
- Visit the episode’s page at PodOmatic
- Intro by the Vern featuring the music of Fuzzy Machete
- Subscribe to us on iTunes
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter
- Elwood Jones’s main blog is From the Depths of DVD Hell; he also hosts The Mad, Bad, and Downright Strange Showcase and contributes to Channel: Superhero.