I don’t remember what the Vern (left) and I were talking about, but I bet it was exciting!
Photo: Fredo Castil
They came from all over the country: from colonial New England, the southwestern desert, the icy climes of the north, the heartland, and the state of mind that can only be described as “Texas.” They came by car, by plane, by Greyhound bus, and they brought their women (and their men) with them. A motley gang they were, with only one thing in common: a badge, sky blue, upon which a cartoon sheep bleated.
They were bloggers. Worse than that, they were film bloggers. And for three days (July 11 through 13, 2014) we allowed these freaks and weirdos to invade our fair city, Chicago, city of large shoulders, of Al Capone and The Dark Night. For we are, ourselves, film bloggers.
It was the most interesting of times. It was the 2014 meetup of the Large Association of Movie Blogs, U.S. branch.
Representing the home team:
- Chris Ramey (After the Credits)
- Clint Worthington (Alcohollywood)
- Fredo Castil (Film Yarn)
- Bubbawheat (Flights, Tights and Movie Nights)
- S.J. Honeywell (1001plus)
- …and of course, myself, Lackey, your humble narrator (The Nightmare Gallery and Forced Viewing)
And the barbarian hordes:
- The Vern (As You Watch and Video Vortex)
- Lindsay Street, Jess Manzo and Rob Kyte plus Jason and Special Guest Dave (French Toast Sunday)
- Dylan Fields plus Emily (Man, I Love Films)
- Dan Heaton (Public Transportation Snob)
- Jason Soto and Nick Jobe (Your Face!)
I think this was everyone. If I missed anyone, nothing personal. And, yes, there were multiple Daniels and Jasons in attendance. There was even a secret Jason.
We drank, we ate, we talked, we argued, we rode a bus, we podcasted and we played Cards Against Humanity. I got a chance to meet a number of people I’ve been in contact with for the last three-and-a-half years. Vern and Lindsay have always been staunch supporters of Forced Viewing. Clint made contact with Jori a while back and we’ve been trying to get him on the podcast, but schedules haven’t worked out. I’ve appeared on pods hosted by Dylan (the LAMBcast), Jason (Lair of the Unwanted), and Bubba (Filmwhys). It was great to finally meet them in the flesh.
Most importantly, I once again managed to avoid seeing The Room.
Such a momentous gathering shouldn’t go unrecorded. I just don’t feel like doing that myself. Others have, though, and here is where you may find their tales.
- Film Yarn: “The Chicago LAMB Meetup! (Part One, Part Two, Part Three)”
- Flights, Tights and Movie Nights: “Chicago LAMB Meetup Aftermath”
- French Toast Sunday: “Coffee Break: Chicago Road Trip for the 2014 LAMB Meetup”
- Public Transportation Snob: “The World that I See: Reads and Listens #22”
- Video Vortex: “Manic Movie Loving Mondays: Issue 2, The LAMB Meetup”
- Your Face!: “Adventures in Leaving the House: LAMBs Invade Chicago Edition”
Two podcasts and a vlog were recorded on Sunday:
- Film Yarn: “Best of 2014 (So Far)”
- The Lair of the Unwanted, #86: “The Lair LIVE in Chicago”
- The LAMBcast, #227: “LAMBs in Chicago!”
I look forward to the 2015 Meetup, which I understand will be held in…(throws dart at map of the United States)…Anaconda, Montana. I bet Jason Soto is gonna have a field day with that one.
And if I can’t make it, I look forward to complaining to whomever I’m dating next year about how I’d rather be partying in Anaconda with my filmic bretheren.